Monday, April 2, 2007

Technology bites

For some who is a career technology person, I gotta tell you, I have having some serious issues.

The day before I left, my hard drive at home died. In a rush to fix it by replacing the drive, I managed to stuff my ipod up, so that all the music is on it, but I cant play it.

Then my mobile phone that I bought from Crazy Johns (whats the opposite of a plug ?) that I was assured would be unblocked did not work o/s. Money could at least fix that one.

The latest mishap was with my camera, that managed to corrupt the data and lose all of the photo's except for one of a door (huh ?) that was dated 2001 - dont ask me, I just work here. Bit of a shame to lose some great pics, but not the end of the world.

Spent a couple of great days snorkelling in Koh Tao - saw loads and loads of fish. Spent so much time following a big school of fish around, that my forearms are killing me from the paddling, but it was well worth it. Did not see any sharks or stingrays there, but did see a few stonefish that are lethal. Thankfully they weren't interested in me.

I am now in Bangkok for the night (I resisted the obvious phrase) and am quite amazed at how hectic this place is. There are people everywhere, including amputee beggars literally lying on the street begging. Makes you kinda thankful for the simple things in life I guess.

I leave for Vietnam tomorrow morning, unfortunately to be fetched by a cab at the ungodly hour of 6am. This is a shame, because the hotel is actually half decent so for the first night in the last little while, I wont be woken by ants etc. crawling over me in the middle of the night - the only downside of rustic island living.

So it looks like I managed to miss the tsunami of 2007 - quite scary that it was so close to home, but have not seen anything on the news about the situation in Australia.

Next post will be from Vietnam somewhere along the line, hopefully with some more pics.

Chag Sameach to all - Spent the last half an hour trolling the streets of Bangkok looking for Matza. Surprisingly could not find any - oh well, what can a Jew do ?

No comments: